Dec 8, 2008

"The Roof, The Roof, The Roof is on Fire!!!!"





So let me tell you how my wonderful Sunday began. My parents were out of town this weekend so I had the whole house to myself. About 5:30 a.m. I was awoken to a hellaciously loud bang, like a gun shot or car backfiring. I sat up and realized that the power was out. I tried to find myself around throught the dark to find a flashlight and my new cell phone. I put in a call to Nevada power and after a little while of getting my heart to stop racing I fell back asleep. I then woke back up at about 8 or 8:30 (can't remember) and the power was still out. I put in another call to NV power and waited for a little bit. I then called back and tried to connect to someone. After about 45 minutes I got to talk to someone and he said there was no outages in my area and to go and check the breakers. I did and all of them had switched (now is a good time to tell you at 5 I thought of doing this but my manic mind was in hyper dirve and all I coudl think of was that someone cut my power and was waiting to kill me) As I came back in the heater went to kick on and the loud bang happened again and the power went out again. I realized it had to be the heater and I turned it off and called my dad. He called my cousin JB and he said he would come after his church. So all was good and I got ready for church, quickly.
After sunday school I decided to come home and check, because all I could imagine was my house was on fire in the attic. All looked good so I went back to Young Women's. After church I came home and the power went out again! I flipped the breaker and called my cousin. He said he would be over in a little bit. About 3 he was able to stop by and he got up on the roof. He took pictures of the heating unit. All the wires were melted and dripping. He said the unit was really hot so he couldn't take it out, so disconnected it all and thought it woudl be o.k. until Monday.
After he left I decided to trim some hedges out front. Before you say anything about me doing yardwork on the Lord's day I have already heard it! Anyways about 20-30 minutes after he left I heard this hissing like a tea kettle, and I looked up and saw smoke. I ran to the back yard where you can see the unit and all this smoke was billowing down the back of my house. I called 911 and told them my house was on fire. Then I called my mom and dad and told them. THen I ran out front to meet the Fire Dept. I was standing in the middle of my road having a full on panic attack, and there was this guy on his bike that just kept riding past me like nothing was wrong. SERIOUSLY, I was freakin breaking down crying and he said nothing!!!!!
Well the fire trucks show up and a ambulance and the fire chief, and then all my neighbors come running across to me. There were so awesome, making sure I wasn't hurt and knowing about my parents and their health making sure they weren't still in the house. At this time I am still bawling like a FREAKIN BABY, and I couldn't calm down. Michael shows up, JB comes back, my friend and neighbor Jeff Anderson comes running down the street. Apparantly Mom, Dad and Jared and Callie had all there cell phones out, because they were in Utah and were calling everyone on their phonebooks. My bishop showed, Brother Gallacher, Callie's sister Tiffany, even a guy that goes to lunch with my dad on tuedays showed up after Callies aunt tells her father in law in Utah and he called the guy down here to come check. We even had a guy in my ward to some and check out the AC unit.
Anyways the fire dept is all in my house trying to get around the Christmas mess I had going on and they said it was all contained in the AC unit and it all looked good.
It just kinda stinks around here but all is great.
I am just greatful for all the wonderful people out there who are so caring and wonderful.
SO thanks

5 comments:

Despain said...

sorry about all the trauma that fire put you thru! Glad you're okay and the house is ok! Do you think your parents will leave you alone in the house again? J/K

McKinna said...

that is just insane and still can't get over it- such an awful sunday for you!! :( Glad things weren't worse... and all is getting better!!

A New Decade of Health said...

So I finally found you again. For some reason your blog wasn't linked from mine anymore. Anyway, glad everything was okay. Life is always exciting!

blah said...

Kristin! It's little women. This is my new blog, i made it because i thought hey why not. We should get cressa to join too if she hasn't.

You are the best ASSISTANT MANAGER A LITTLE WOMEN COULD EVER ASK FOR!

K. D. Montgomery said...

Holy Crap! I know this happened a long time ago, but still, sorry to hear about it. I would've been freakin out too.